Re: temp tablespace

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 00:00:16 -0000

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:ah398v4kdakepg5mtvp21lv0fdjiadt9rc_at_4ax.com...
> On 28 Mar 2003 03:38:27 -0800, aprinsloo_at_websoft.co.za (Allen) wrote:
>

> Oracle invented tablespaces of type temporary, working like rollback
> segments, precisely because they wouldn't have to be cleaned up.
> So in a properly configured database this is exactly what you should
> NOT do: clean up your temp tablespace.
> If you really have an urgent need to clean it up: switch it from
> temporary to permanent using the alter tablespace command and switch
> it back from permanent to temporary.

Sybrand!

Please don't publish details of that trick ;-).

A couple of years ago I was working with (against?) a DBA who had plenty of experience, but had refused to learn anything new for at least ten years, since he *always* knew better. He was panicking because my temporary tablespace was showing up as 100% full on his TOAD screen.

"Not a problem" I said, but it didn't satisfy him. His temp tablespaces were always cleaned out, because they *weren't* temporary (Oracle 7.3 was far too new-fangled for him).

So, just to keep the peace, I did *exactly* as you suggest. What a waste of time and effort!

Regards,
Paul Received on Sat Mar 29 2003 - 18:00:16 CST