Re: temp tablespace

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:05:09 +0100

On 28 Mar 2003 03:38:27 -0800, aprinsloo_at_websoft.co.za (Allen) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Due to my limited Oracle experience this question might seem a bit
>basic, but I'd appreciate any help.
>
>Product: Oracle 8.1.6
>Platform: MS Server 2000
>
>How do I clean out the space used by the temp table space on our
>Oracle database server. The temp table space is of type "tempory" but
>keeps filling up and growing, is there a way to automate the clean out
>of it or do I need to manually do something to it?
>Previous dbms's I've worked on Sybase and MS Sql Server cleaned out
>tempory db work space after every commited transaction, this does not
>seem to be the case with Oracle... or am I msitaken?
>
>Thx in advance
>Allen

Oracle invented tablespaces of type temporary, working like rollback segments, precisely because they wouldn't have to be cleaned up. So in a properly configured database this is exactly what you should NOT do: clean up your temp tablespace.
If you really have an urgent need to clean it up: switch it from temporary to permanent using the alter tablespace command and switch it back from permanent to temporary.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Mar 28 2003 - 12:05:09 CST