Re: Automating oracle Installation: How change default PFILE parameters?

From: Carlo Sirna <carlo.sirna_at_digisoft.it>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 12:18:26 +0100

>Fire up a script that does that... Maybe tell your users they
>need to click on the click_here.cmd file, in order to start
>the script after the db is up-and-running?

I think I will adopt this solution...
I was just wandering if there was a cleaner solution.

>But, really - 70 *active* roles? What would a user do with so
>many active roles?!? Grant dba would be simpler.

>--
>Regards, Frank van Bortel

This is a complex story.... I designed a GUI framework that automatically hides menu items, buttons and various user interface elements using the oracle roles that have been granted to each user. the problem is that who designed the final application abused of this feature and instead of defining 10-20 distinct roles, based on the professional figures that live within our customer's companies (roles like "secretary", "manager", "call_center" and the like) defined an huge amount of little roles like "can_edit_customer_data", "can_read_incoming_calls"...

I personally don't agree with this use that has been done of my delphi components: it is too complicated, both for us to mantain/test and for the end user to be used. I have complained enough about it... Now I am just waiting them to strike their face on the problem...

Thanks for your reply,

Carlo Sirna Received on Sat Mar 29 2003 - 05:18:26 CST