q. regarding OEM and OUI

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:50:42 -0600

Platform: Win2k - Ora 8.1.7 - OEM 2.2.0.0.0

For some time now I have been successfully using OEM to monitor a range of events on several 8.0.6 and 8.1.7 databases running on a mix of NT and Win2k servers. This has worked quite well, with my partner and I receiving e-mail notifications of tablespaces filling up, new entries in the alert logs, etc.

Recently I tried to add event monitoring to some newly acquired 8.1.7 db's running on Solaris boxes. When I tried to register the events, the only tests shown as available were database up/down. When I tried to select a previously registered event for editing, it popped up an error saying "The test . . . may not have been installed. Cannot proceed with current operation."

It was suggested that I should install the Diagnostics Pack Advanced Events option - custom install from the 8.1.7 EE cd. This is where things really got interesting. When I opened the installer, I found there were two Oracle homes. One, a straight up OraHome81 located at d:\oracle\ora81, and the other called OEM22, located at d:\oracle\oem22. Ok, I vaguely remember that when I installed OEM on this server, the docs suggested installing it into its own home. So I selected the OEM22 home for this install.

When the products list came up, I deselected everything except Diagnostics Pack Advanced Events - which as shown as 'not installed'. The next panel wanted the name of a new database. Now things are just too weird, so I bailed and tried again, this time selecting the OraHome81 home.

This time thru, the Diagnostics Pack Advanced Events was shown as 'installed'. So I bailed again. Next I went to the Home Selector and saw that the OraHome81 (the one WITH the Advanced Events) was the default. I switched to the OEM22 home (the one WITHOUT the Advanced Events) and brought up the OEM console. Now event registration and editing worked!

Question: Why does event registration and editing work when my default home is the OEM22 home that does NOT have advanced events installed, but DOESN'T work when the default home is the OraHome81 home that DOES have advanced events installed?

Question: What is the interaction between the installer and the various oracle homes? If I open the Installed Products inventory, it lists two main branches - "Independent Products" and "OraHome81". No mention of the home OEM22. This is true regardless of which home is selected as current. Received on Wed Mar 26 2003 - 09:50:42 CST