Re: Looking for a way to implement SQL-92 Domain

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 10:01:51 GMT

Following up on Galen Boyer, 26 Mar 2003:

> That sounds really slick and the pack of java developers think you are
> cool cause you talk DAO's. :-)

You bet! The darn thing is as basic as can get and uses the default xml schema stuff in 8i, but what the heck: anything to keep Java guys off my back! ;)

(Actually, it's kinda nice: it uses Oracle object types as the JDBC interface, one for each table. So, I can change names in columns, what have you, inside any given table and the whole lot is picked up automagically by WSAD. Nifty stuff. Gary - one of our DBAs - did a really nifty job with this one.)

> Erwin is a tool that I've used for awhile now. The thing that sucks is
> that it got bought by Computer Associates so there ain't much new stuff
> going to happen to that product. But then again, there ain't much new

Ah yes, CA: the great software graveyard... That really sucks, Erwin was quite neat a few years ago. But as you point out there isn't much new in modelling of late, other than UML. Everyone expects XML to do it by default, as if miracles existed. Which is as bogus as can get, but what the heck!

> created. I would just like to say that a domain type gets a sequence,
> please create me the correct one.

Not much better in Designer either! OK if all you have is a default sequence. But if you want to make a global unique key with the sequence generated number suffixed by the site number, then Designer is useless and we have to fall back on manual PL/SQL.

Oh well, one day I'll have to fully learn that JDeveloper stuff. Now, that is one VERY cool tool indeed! Pity it's not very compatible with Websphere. Otherwise it would be all I'd need. The UML stuff is really good.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto