Re: Looking for a way to implement SQL-92 Domain

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 26 Mar 2003 09:45:54 GMT

Following up on Paul Brewer, 26 Mar 2003:

> Are we just discussing the age-old "kitchen drawer" question of how to
> define dozens of tiny logical lookup codes (in which case the Oracle
> physical
> answer is to use declarative RI based on code_type plus code), or something
> else?

Not really discussing, I think. Judging by the number of times I've seen hundreds and hundreds of tiny lookup tables in applications running in Oracle, it can't be that old a problem... There are some very notorious examples out there in some very popular applications (that shall remain nameless), even as we speak. :)

But yes, it's very much the same thing. Only really solved with RI when it became declarative and reliable, somewhere in late V7. As I said, doesn't need triggers. But it really needs good PL/SQL error handling IMHO to make it usable. Otherwise it's just too much code to go into an app.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto