Re: string size limitations in Oracle?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:21:57 +0300

"Neel McClain" <hnmcclain_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e700cdf4.0303250934.2bef725c_at_posting.google.com...
> I'm told that the size limit on vachar2() is 2K. Is thi strue and if
> so, has anyone found any workarounds to extend that?

The limit is 4000 bytes (not characters, so for DBCS databases this translates into 2000 double-byte characters.) If you really really need to store large amounts of text in single row, go for CLOBs, which have 4GB limit. Otherwise you can break the text into short chunks, assign each chunk a sequence number and store them in separate rows. You will then be able to retrieve the text by issuing a "select chunk from table order by seq#". This is how Oracle stores stored procedures source code, for example.