Re: exception: The Network Adapter could not establish the connection

From: Pasi Kallankari <pasi.kallankari_at_nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:51:43 GMT

Also you can use USE_SHARED_SOCKET parameter in the registry.

How to enable USE_SHARED_SOCKET on WINNT and Windows 2000

As described in Note:66382.1 there is 2 ways to make ORACLE work in a firewall environment.

This can be handled by applying a firewall that has a SQL*Net proxy built in.
The way this works is that the SQL*Net proxy starts another listening process
(usually on port 1610). This causes the firewall to act like a Connection Mananger or Multi Protocol Interchange.

The second way to resolve this issue is to upgrade the server to 8.0.x or 8.1.x
and to set the USE_SHARED_SOCKET parameter in the registry in order to activate port sharing under WINNT. The parameter is available in Windows NT 4.0
(SP3 or higher) and Windows 2000 when Winsock 2 support is installed. With this
method, it is also possible to use firewalls which only supports port filtering
and no SQL*Net proxy. At least for dedicated connections. Multi Threaded Server
(MTS) still needs to redirect the connection to a dynamic port and therefore requires a SQL*Net proxy.

In Windows NT port sharing can be activated by setting

USE_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE in the system environment (Control Panel, SYSTEM environment). I Windows 2000
this is done also by the SYSTEM button in the control panel, but environment variables are specified and found by clicking the "Advanced" button.

The parameter can also be set within the WINNT registry under \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE (Relases 8.0) or \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME<#> (Release 8i )

Both methods require a shutdown/startup of the nt server

A pitfall of this option is all connections will stay on the Listener port and if the Listener is stopped or restarted, all connections are severed from the database.