Re: Holdable cursors in Oracle?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:13:43 -0800

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>
> > The shareable cursor if I recall correctly is a standard feature in
> > Teradata
>
> Daniel, any idea why cursors needs to be sharable across sessions in
> Teradata?
>
> > and I have reason to believe Oracle may be using them but not
> > explicitly: Not as a developer defined cursor type.
>
> Yes, that I can believe. A shareable cursor in such a "system's context" is
> simply a representation in memory of the physical table on disk.
>
> --
> Billy

The Teradata architecuture is one where while a cursor is reading a table ... suppose someone comes along and wants the same data. Rather than opening a second cursor with associated parsing, overhead, etc. Teradata starts delivering records from the existing cursor to both sessions ... and when the first user gets what they want ... the cursors just keeps going with the records the second person requested. It is very efficient.

And while I don't know for a fact that Oracle is doing this ... I have a suspicion.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 00:13:43 CST