Re: How to rename a schema

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:41:43 +0100

Ed Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:29:52 +0800, "Timmy Sin" <tswsin_at_yahoo.com>
> wrote:

<snip!>

>>Regards,
>>Timmy
>>

> My first question is "'why?" Why do you want to change the name of
> the schema owner in a cloned db? There may very well be good reasons,
> but I get the impression from what you've said so far that it is
> simply because it is in another db. Not a good reason. In fact, if
> I've got a 'cloned' database (like a test copy of production) I
> *don't* want things renamed from one DB to the other. You are making
> extra work for yourself now, and possibly a lot of extra work down the
> road.

Because of naming conventions? Which are there because of protection against user / developer errors? If I try to logon to a test/development database and have to find out the hard way that I dropped tables in production, I'd rather have a TEST user owing all objects in that environment, and a PROD user owning them in production.
The ora-01017 would have triggered me that I was (attempting to) scribble the production instance.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel