Re: Good book of Oracle database administration

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2003 09:27:49 -0800

In article <MPG.18dfaa529fd119896fd_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net>, Karsten says...

>l.durance-no_spam_l_at_ifrance.com said...
>> Anyone knows a good book of Oracle Database Administration.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>That depends a lot on your level of DBA expertise. "Oracle DBA 101" is a
>good introduction. You might be better off going over to amazon.com and
>search for "oracle dba" and read some of the reader reviews of the
>different books.
>--
>/Karsten
>DBA > retired > DBA

Ah, yes, but even there you need to apply a modicum of your own knowledge. Let me tell you of two experiences I'm personally aware of with Amazon:

  1. Soemone put a review of my book in that said (gasp, shock, horror!) that there were a number of glaring mistakes in one of the chapters. Well, of course I knew that was wrong, because I don't make any errors, let alone glaring ones! :) Anyways, I went back through that chapter, as did my tech reviewer and some others, and none of us could see what the problem was (the Amazon reviewer hadn't mentioned specifics). I cotnacted Amazon and asked them to forward the reviewer (the review was done anonymously) an email from me asking what the problem was. Amazon's response? They deleted that review! It certainly wasn't what I wanted, and I never found out what the supposed mistakes were.
  2. A good friend posted a review where they laid out in quite a bit of detail some of the errors found in a particular book (names are not important here). THe reviewer was sent a nasty gram from the author telling them never to do it again (but not responding to the issues the reviewer had raised), and their review was also deleted.

I've had other things I've done reviewed and received rave ratings from some people while others have responded with not enough detail type of comments. You just can't satisfy everyone (unless you're Jonathan or Tom) and you need to be careful when looking at other people's reviews. Take the overall thrust of the reviews maybe, rather than individual ones, but even there I've seen lots of praise for things which are largely crap (not Jonathan and Tom, I hasten to add!)

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Mar 18 2003 - 11:27:49 CST