What is a schema?

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:19:15 +0100

Hi!
So far I have always thought that basically the types of all the tables in a db are called a schema and that you manipulate a schema by manipulating the table definitions.

Somehow from this NG I get the idea that oracle means a lot more by the word schema.

For once, schemata can belong to users, even if they share the same database. This contradicts my idea that everything in the db is "the schema".

So, could anybody please enlighten me what a schema in oracle is and what I can do with it?

Lots of greetings and thanks!
Volker Received on Mon Mar 10 2003 - 04:19:15 CST