Re: What is a schema?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 12:50:50 GMT

Following up on Volker Hetzer, 10 Mar 2003:

> Somehow from this NG I get the idea that oracle means a lot more by the
> word schema.

It's a little more, yes. In the "C.J. Date/Fabian Pascal" sense of the term schema. Not as wide, though. For example, Oracle does not fully support domains. Most other RDBMSs don't either.

> For once, schemata can belong to users, even if they share the same
> database. This contradicts my idea that everything in the db is "the
> schema".

In Oracle, a user can be just a connected user, and/or the "owner" of a schema. It just so happens that you need a schema owner in order to define a schema in the first place. So, the two terms are closely linked.

> So, could anybody please enlighten me what a schema in oracle is and
> what I can do with it?

It's the totality of database objects defined under a given single owner. Be those tables, stored procedures, triggers, constraints, indexes, object types, object tables, sequences, views, grants, whatever, in any combination.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto