Re: Different versions on W2k

From: FC <flavio_at_tin.it>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 18:18:09 GMT

Guten Abend Sabrina,
just a few notes from personal research + well known tricks. Install 8.1.7 first and then 9.2.0.
Of course they must be installed into different Oracle homes. I'd rather put each version on a different disk or at least a different partition if possible.
If you are going to run both database versions simultaneously, one listener must be configured on a different port, for instance 1526 instead of the standard 1521. Physical memory is another scarce resource, if both instances are running at the same time, you might end up causing memory swaps. Configure the instances so that both do not exceed the RAM available.

When you install the 9.2 database, because of certain registry settings, you may end up having the Oracle\admin directory of the second database merged with the Oracle\admin of 8.1.7, something that I didn't like the first time I ran through this process. Since this path is prompted at some preliminary stage, watch out for the message coming from the database configuration wizard and change it according to your needs.

I have exactly the same configuration on my machine and they work perfectly together.
I've also set up individual "environments" (Windows users) for each DBA user such that, when I log on, the corresponding Oracle Home becomes the default Oracle Home, which makes my life easier as I do not have to worry about command execution path leading to the wrong command version.

Anyway, you can start reading some docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com, especially Windows specific documentation for 9.2 and release notes from the installation CDs.

Tschuess,
Flavio Received on Thu Mar 06 2003 - 12:18:09 CST