Re: how synchronous is Oracle?

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 Mar 2003 10:01:46 -0800

If "Process B" executes it's select after the commit, then yes, the row inserted & committed by "Process A" would be available. The row may not have been written to the datafile yet and may exist in the buffer_cache, but, Oracle knows about it for Read Consistency sake.

To explain further consider the following, if "Process B" executes it's select before the insert and the commit, then, no it will not be visible to "Process B", this is because the Oracle has already built the result set for "Process B's" select and therefore does not know about the new row. This would still be true if the insert/commit happened in the middle of "B's" select. If "Process B" re-issues the select after the commit, it would then be available.

HTH,
Pete's