Re: Oracle vs. MS SQL Server

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2003 14:39:22 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E662C8C.B649D540_at_exesolutions.com>...
> CS wrote:
>
> > We support 100 companies nation wide and of those, 5 have Oracle and the
> > rest MSSQL. They are all running on NT
> >
> > Recent upgrades to our product with implementation, cost run 2x higher on
> > Oracle than MSSQL
> >
> > Oracle seems to be an essay test instead of pick and choose.
> >
> > Clients seem to report more downtime with oracle due to corruption. I won't
> > swear to it but it seems that way.
> >
> > hth
> > CS
> >
> > "dmz17" <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message

> Any
> > >
> > > I am afraid you will have to figure out your needs and how they would be
> > > filled by any particular vendor for yourself.
> > >
> > > Go to Oracle's website and look, then go to Microsofts.
> > >
> > > Pick the vendor who appears less arrogant.
> > >
> > > This may be the hardest task.
> > >
> > > All else being equal, any modern RDBMS will do the job. The rest is
> > > marketing.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > dmz17
>
> Then someone is totally incompetent or engaged in sabotage.

That would be the person who wrote the app that runs on both db's, I'm sure.

> You don't seriously believe that almost every major company and government on
> the planet is putting mission critical applications into Oracle when problems
> such as you describe exist.
>
> Go to Microsoft, find someone working on their SAP accounting system and ask
> them what RDBMS is being used as the repository.

That's interesting! Which version? Is there verification of this outside of MS? Have they actually got it working? :-)

> No one with an IQ over room temperature could truly believe Bill Gates would use
> a competitors product unless he had a darned good reason to do so.

OTOH, very smart people can believe stranger things. Heck, Ford Engineering bought a Ferrari for, uh, reverse engineering...

> Daniel Morgan

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"The situation would have to improve to get to 'it sucks.'" - Telecom