Re: looking for upgrade time estimate

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 15:48:45 -0800

Vince Laurent wrote:

> I guess to be clearer, we will be taking an exisiting 8.1.7.3 server
> and upgrading it in place to 9i (whatever flavor is the latest for
> HPUX when I get around to doing it). Since the disk requirements for
> 9i are MUCH larger than they were for 8i, I am guessing the migration
> will take a bit of time.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 06:42:09 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:22:52 +0000, Vince Laurent wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone have a time estimate for upgrading from 8.1.7.4 to 9i? I have a
> >> 100G databse I need to upgrade.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> p.s. OS version HP-UX 11.0
> >
> >Depends how you propose to upgrade (technically, migrate). The Migration
> >Assistant, or the command line equivalent, aren't actually size-sensitive.
> >Most of what they do is poke around inside the data dictionary, so 100GB
> >or 1GB, it makes no significant difference.
> >
> >Do the migration with export/import however, and the length of time it
> >takes will indeed vary with the amount of data.

9i disk requirements are not substantially higher than 8i if you go through, after the installation, and prune out the gigabytes of help, doc, sample, demo, template, and other unnecessary files. Effectively everything with .zip, .mov, .avi, .gif, .html, .pdf can go. And if you look at the google.com archives a year or so back you will find some decent lists of other larger files that can go as well. Personally I see no reason to even keep mos of what is in \rdbms\admin on a server ... it is nothing but a security hole.

Daniel Morgan Received on Wed Mar 05 2003 - 17:48:45 CST