Re: Oracle 8.1.7.4.6 patch error

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 11:23:54 -0800

Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message news:<b3kv1n$ct0$1_at_ctb-nnrp2.saix.net>...
> Run a search on the system for all oral8.dll's. Could also be that an old
> one remained behind and gets picked up first in the DLL search path when
> the app loads (on Windows the search path is, I thinkk, current directory,
> \WinNT\, \WinNT\system32, DOS %PATH%).

Kind of off-topic but this trick helps everybody not just DBAs. Assuming the running process has the same %path% as your current DOS shell, you can quickly search for a file first referenced in %path% by creating which.bat as follows:
@echo off
rem Windows which: 'which _prog_' tells you from where _prog_ is launched.
echo IMPORTANT: Remember to include filename extention: 'which perl.exe' is correct;
echo 'which perl' is wrong, because a directory named perl may be found first. If
echo you don't know the extension, try .exe, .bat, .com, .cmd in that order.
echo.
echo fullname: %~$PATH:1

Then run it like this:

C:\>which dunzip32.dll
IMPORTANT: Remember to include filename extention: 'which perl.exe' is correct;
'which perl' is wrong, because a directory named perl may be found first. If
you don't know the extension, try .exe, .bat, .com, .cmd in that order.

fullname: C:\WINNT\DUNZIP32.DLL

To check a running process environment in Windows, use sysinternals.com's Process Explorer. In this case, look at the %path% variable of the SQL*Plus process.

Yong Huang Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 13:23:54 CST