Re: Percent of Shared Pool used

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:16:14 +1100

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:44:02 +0200, Tanel Poder wrote:

> Hi!
>

>> Now given that an application upgrade script isn't written by you
>> (therefore, no chance to write it such that it doesn't hard parse every
>> statement); and that it doesn't happen very often (so big, bad, bold
>> overkill steps like a flush are of little lasting significance and a quick
>> fix is better than none); then yes, I'll buy that flushing the shared pool
>> might be appropriate in certain circumstances (as you'd expect: they
>> wouldn't have invented the command if it was never to be used!). But not
>> any circumstance that involves proper, on-going performance tuning.

> Yes, you've got it now.
>
> I'll just paste my posting from yesterday again:
> ---
> flushing shared pool has helped me with performance during Oracle
> Applications upgrades several times. Of course this isn't a normal
> circumstance where thousands of packages are created in very short time..
> ---
>
> Note that Applications was with capital "A", so this is definitely not
> written by me, thus I can't (or shouldn't) optimize the code in it. And the
> next sentence in my posting states, that I am not doing this in normal
> circumstances. Also I hope you noticed I wrote "helped me with performance
> DURING" not " TUNING".

Strangely enough, I can actually read.

What I disliked about your original posting, and what I still dislike about it until it is extremely heavily qualified as you did here (and your last post) is any suggestion that flushing the shared pool is an acceptable way to deal with 'routine' performance/memory issues. It isn't.

What you have here is a completely and utterly exception circumstance, and I'd rather that wasn't left on record as some sort of recommended way of dealing with Shared Pool issues.

I've just had a bunch of people over the past few weeks explaining that their "DBA" thinks it's an appropriate first tuning step, which I am sure you'd agree is, prima facie, stupid.

In the context of the original poster's problem, advising him to flush his shared pool (which I realise you didn't in the first place) is the last thing that should be proferred as advice.

HJR Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 05:16:14 CST