Re: Percent of Shared Pool used

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:44:02 +0200

Hi!

> Now given that an application upgrade script isn't written by you
> (therefore, no chance to write it such that it doesn't hard parse every
> statement); and that it doesn't happen very often (so big, bad, bold
> overkill steps like a flush are of little lasting significance and a quick
> fix is better than none); then yes, I'll buy that flushing the shared pool
> might be appropriate in certain circumstances (as you'd expect: they
> wouldn't have invented the command if it was never to be used!). But not
> any circumstance that involves proper, on-going performance tuning.

Yes, you've got it now.

I'll just paste my posting from yesterday again:

---
flushing shared pool has helped me with performance during Oracle
Applications upgrades several times. Of course this isn't a normal
circumstance where thousands of packages are created in very short time..
---

Note that Applications was with capital "A", so this is definitely not
written by me, thus I can't (or shouldn't) optimize the code in it. And the
next sentence in my posting states, that I am not doing this in normal
circumstances. Also I hope you noticed I wrote  "helped me with performance
DURING" not " TUNING".

It's not performance tuning, it's just relieving some performance issues due
non-normal circumstances as upgrading E-Business Suite.

(Just for note, that I am more or less aware how latching works in Oracle,
that's why I didn't even bother to check which latches caused contention, I
was sure enough that because of specific workload it was the library cache
which caused problems.

An yes, the shared pool is quite large, over 300MB, according to Oracle's
recommendation for Apps.
Both share_pool_reserved_size and _shared_pool_reserved_min_alloc were
adjusted as well.)

Cheers,
Tanel.