Re: Must service be stopped to migrate database ?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:37:29 +0100

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 15:54:38 +0800, "j" <perseus_medusa_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all ,
>
> I am wondering if I want to migrate database from one instance to
>another, must the service provided by the database (like web or application)
>be stopped during the process in order to prevent transactions during
>migration ? As I always think that this may cause unsynchronized data
>between the replicated target database and the source database.
>
> If the above question make you confuse, then simply, I am asking if
>someone show me what's the usual practice / procedure of doing migration ?
>
> Thanks.
>
>Perseus

I think you should decide how you define 'migration'. If migration is cloning the database, the service MUST be down when copying files
If you use Oracle replication techniques the service CAN'T be down, but you might consider starting the database in restricted mode.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Feb 22 2003 - 03:37:29 CST