Re: Oracle server Win platform question

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:35:25 +0100

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:08:20 +0100, "Damir Dezeljin" <news_at_dezo.org> wrote:

Comments embedded
>Hi.
>
>We are using a program developed in Forms Developer 6.0. This program
>connects to our server running Oracle Server 8 (or 8i - I'm not shure) on
>WinNT 4.0 Server platform.

Developer 6.0 is desupported

>Because our server's hardware is now 6 years old and because we want to
>speed up our aplication, we decided to upgrade the server.
>
>We will buy a new HW, however we can't decide what to run on it. The first
>problem is about WinNT 4. I think that it can't get all the benefits from
>the new HW and also WinNT 4 will no longer be supported.
>
>So I have dome questions:
>- Do we realy need to buy a new Win2k Server platform. I'm asking this,
>because we will only use Oracle server on that bachine. So is there a realy
>benefit by switching from e.g. Win2k PRO or WinXP -> Win2k Server? Is there
>any license issue for doing so?

You won't be capable to get a server with NT 4.0 installed. As to your Oracle options

version   supported      Win2k                  XP *Pro*

8.0          no                   not certified         not certified
8.1.5       no                   not certified         not certified
8.1.6       no                   certified                not cert

8.1.7       until Dec31    certified                not cert
9i            supported      certified                certified

>- We are planing on using our Oracle on the new server. However I'm
>interesting about benefits of upgradeing also Oracle Server to a more recent
>version.
>- What about switching to Linux platform? I think that our Oracle license is
>valid only for Windows platform, so in this case it will be necesary to
>upgrade also Oracle ... will this add any significant benefit to
>performance?

Basically Winblows is still an unscalable and somewhat unreliable platform and it will lock you in. Microsux takes every possible measure to assure non-Microsux software works as it works on other platforms.

>Regards,
>Dezo

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Feb 22 2003 - 03:35:25 CST