Oracle server Win platform question

From: Damir Dezeljin <news_at_dezo.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 08:08:20 +0100

Hi.

We are using a program developed in Forms Developer 6.0. This program connects to our server running Oracle Server 8 (or 8i - I'm not shure) on WinNT 4.0 Server platform.

Because our server's hardware is now 6 years old and because we want to speed up our aplication, we decided to upgrade the server.

We will buy a new HW, however we can't decide what to run on it. The first problem is about WinNT 4. I think that it can't get all the benefits from the new HW and also WinNT 4 will no longer be supported.

So I have dome questions:
- Do we realy need to buy a new Win2k Server platform. I'm asking this,
because we will only use Oracle server on that bachine. So is there a realy benefit by switching from e.g. Win2k PRO or WinXP -> Win2k Server? Is there any license issue for doing so?
- We are planing on using our Oracle on the new server. However I'm
interesting about benefits of upgradeing also Oracle Server to a more recent version.
- What about switching to Linux platform? I think that our Oracle license is
valid only for Windows platform, so in this case it will be necesary to upgrade also Oracle ... will this add any significant benefit to performance?

Regards,
Dezo Received on Sat Feb 22 2003 - 01:08:20 CST