Re: stopping oracle database via batch-file

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:10:55 -0000

it depends.

Specifically it depends on what shutmode has been set with the oradim utility on database creation - in most cases this will be a - for abort. You can however set it to either i for immediate or n for normal.

You can find out what it is set to by either looking in the registry or just examining the alert log as you would on any other platform.

If you really need a clean shutdown then I would be tempted to use a simple sql script to issue shutdown abort;, startup and then shutdown normal;. Most probably you don't actually need a scripted way to shutdown the database at all, but rather want to move to hot backup. .

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA