Re: applying online redo log to standby db

From: Stephan Bressler <stephan.bressler_at_siemens.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:41:32 +0100

"Pete's" <empete2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6724a51f.0302190839.1ca151b0_at_posting.google.com...
> First, please post the version of Oracle you are talking about as well
> as OS, so that the rest of may try to give some insight to your
> question.
>
> To answer it, it really depends on the version. With 9i, you could
> have this setup in 'Instant Protection' mode, whereby I would worry
> about trying to apply online redo logs. That's because the updates
> happening to the primary database happen to the standby at the same
> time. The same is true for 'Guaranteed Protection'.
>
> Now for 8i, from what I recall from postings on Metalink. Oracle
> Analysts have recommended that any unarchived redo log not be applied.
> Plus, to just apply the archive logs that you have, activate the
> standby and open it.

Hi Pete,

I cannot understand why it should be a problem to copy the current redo log file (when db is offline) to the standby site and apply it there in order to get as close to the crash as possible. Applying the current log is what oracle performs during every instance crash recovery.

Regards
Stephan Received on Thu Feb 20 2003 - 02:41:32 CST