Re: applying online redo log to standby db

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 08:39:33 -0800

First, please post the version of Oracle you are talking about as well as OS, so that the rest of may try to give some insight to your question.

To answer it, it really depends on the version. With 9i, you could have this setup in 'Instant Protection' mode, whereby I would worry about trying to apply online redo logs. That's because the updates happening to the primary database happen to the standby at the same time. The same is true for 'Guaranteed Protection'.

Now for 8i, from what I recall from postings on Metalink. Oracle Analysts have recommended that any unarchived redo log not be applied.  Plus, to just apply the archive logs that you have, activate the standby and open it.

HTH
Pete's

The comments or ideas from my post are mine and do not reflect the views of my employer or Oracle Corporation.