Re: Database names?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:14:11 -0600

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:23:13 +0200, "James" <james_at_nothing.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>Can someone tell me how I can get the names of all the Databases on a
>server? I understand that the that the database structure of a n oracle
>server is very different to a SQL server.
>
>I wand to be able to determin all the names of all the database on the
>server that I'm working with.
>I'm using oracle 9i server and have full rights to the server!
>
>Hope someone can help.
>Thanks in Advance
>cheers
>James

What version of Oracle? What OS?

And, most importantly since you are coming to this from MS SQL-Server: exactly what do you mean by a 'database'? You're right, the 'structure' of an Oracle database is very different from that of a SQL-Server database. In fact, the term 'database' means two entirely different concepts in the two products. So when you speak of a 'database' in SQL-Server, you're talking about an entirely different 'thing' than when using that term in Oracle.

When coming to Oracle from a SQL-Server background, the first thing you need to do is check all of your SQL-Server knowledge at the door. The second thing is to read the Oracle Concepts manual.

My comments are not meant as a flame or criticism. Just a warning that if you try to apply your knowledge of SQL-Server to Oracle you are in for a long, hard learning process. Received on Wed Feb 19 2003 - 08:14:11 CST