Re: Newbie: What actions have to be taken when doing a COLD BACKUP?

From: peter <peter01234_at_zonnet.nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:59:21 +0100

Hello Richard,

Thanks for your great input!
Please find my answers below:

> No (unless we're talking RMAN which I assume we're not).
Right, I am not using RMAN - but if this is the most secure way I will use it.

> After restoring the "stuffed bits" of your database, Oracle "knows" which
> redo logs needs to be applied (or from which redo log) based on the
> checkpoint information recorded in the header of your datafiles. In a cold
> backup, these headers reflect the "correct point of time" as the header
info
> and related data within the datafile *must* be consistent a the time of it
> being backed up, as a closed databases has zip activity.

This is the answer I was looking for! So the datafiles contain information regarding the redo logs.
As a result: if no redo files have been added during the backup (which is of course evident when doing a DB shutdown), one can delete the redo logs and ARCHIVE logs. I assume a command like "del *.*" in the appropriate directory will do? nothing else have to be done - right?

> Nah, bugger that. If you routinely shutdown your database to do backups,
> they need to learn that they have to nick off and catch up on "The Bill"
or
> something on the telly.

Well, I guess this explains my previous question....right?

> Shutdown immediate is the way to go ...
Good, if learned from several replies on news issues in this group that "shutdown abort" should be avoided - thanks!

> The only point I would make is that having just the one set of backups and
> no previous set of archived logs means you are totally dependent on this
> backup. Any sneaky corruptions in your back and you're kinda stuffed. I
> would recommend storing on tape (if you must) x number of backups and
> corresponding redo logs, just in case ...

Well, I do have several backups... but these have be made by other people that have left the company
and I just want to have a "consistent state" of my databases by date X that I can rely on.
Further on, as I mentioned in my previous message: I do backup my redo logs, param and control files, datafiles daily. But, for my own relieve, a cold backup feels more reliable!

> Couple of suggestions. Don't be reliant on OEM. Investigate RMAN.
So far, I have not gone into RMAN, but your suggestion is certainly valuable! Received on Wed Feb 19 2003 - 15:59:21 CST