Re: Stupid question

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:07:32 GMT

laverf_at_hotmail.com said...
> Hi every body,
>
> Before evething, if my writing is odd, it's because I'm not english
> but I will try :-)
>
> My question is, in Oracle Form Builder, on a datablock based on the
> database, How he can know which field have been updated on the
> update_records???
>
> The problem is I have a non-based datablock and I want to know if some
> specific field have been updated by the user.
>
> How can I do that without keep the fetched value in another field and
> compare it before the update ???
>
> Thank you :-)

Oracle Forms knows how to ask the database if a column has changed (so it knows whether to do an update or an insert). That's part of what makes Forms so powerful (you get a lot of functionality with very little coding). However, when you don't base a block on a database table, then you are on your own. Meaning you have to write your own code.

Your last paragraph is the answer. You have to keep a "before" image of the field values and compare them to the values in the block.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA