Re: How frequently: Analysing

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_@peldik.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 22:58:30 +0200

Hello!

Few key points:
1) If the data in yout table doesn't change - there's no need to reanalyze. Urgent need for analyze comes after large inserts mainly, also deletes. Analyze after large updates is mostly needed when you use histograms or update lots of values to NULL or from NULL (because of indexes). 2) If your server does nothing during the nights anyway, why not analyze, even use compute statistics, that way you use your investment better :)

You might want to separate analyzing less-changing tables/indexes from more-changing ones and analyze first ones weekly, second ones daily for example. But in small environment, don't bother.. just do it daily.

Comments welcome,
Tanel.