Oracle stops responding

From: Tore Skogly <tore.skogly_at_c2i.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:44:49 +0100

I am experiencing some problems with an Oracle 9.2.0.1 database on RedHat 8.0 (I know it is not a supported plattform by Oracle...)

My hardware is a dual Xeon system with 2 GB memory.

The problem is as follows:
From time to time Oracle stops responding. From what I have seen this can occur when I try to delete lot of records (for instance 100000 or more) from a table.
When connecting with sqlplus from another machine, sqlpus is unable to connect to the database.
When i try to shut restart Oracle (by using "service oracle stop") the instance is not shut down.
To make Oracle respond again i have to perform a ssh connection to the server running Oracle, and do the following:

su - oracle
sqlplus /nolog
connect sys/password as sysdba
shutdown abort
startup

"shutdown immediate" make no success.
After this procedure all seems to be working again.

The server is being tested before going into production, and I sure would like to have this problem solved as soon as possible.

Anyone that can give me some hints to what can solve the problem.

--
Regards,
Tore Skogly