Re: applying online redo log to standby db

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:47:20 +1000

"Carsten Grammes" <cgrammes_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:3e535767.74340405_at_gandalf.dialogika.de...
> Hello world,
>
> I have a question on promoting a standby database to a primary one.
> Say I have a standby database with all archived redo logs running in
> automatic recover. Now the primary database crashes but I still have
> the possibility to access the filesystem and copy the online redo logs
> to the standby machine.
>
> What should I then do with those, how to apply them to the standby
> database?

Hi Carsten,

Sometimes specifying a database version is kinda important (hint hint) ...

Not sure if by "automatic" recovery do you mean a standard recover standby database command or are you referring to a managed recovery.

Anyway, depending on DB version you have a couple of options. One is to simply copy the accessible redo log files across and refer to them in your "standard" recovery command. Or if you have 9i , you can "register" the new log files via the alter database register logfile command.

Cheers

Richard Received on Wed Feb 19 2003 - 07:47:20 CST