Re: applying online redo log to standby db

From: Carsten Grammes <cgrammes_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:20:51 GMT

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:47:20 +1000, "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote:

>Sometimes specifying a database version is kinda important (hint hint) ...

At the moment I am using 9.2.0 but I will also have to cope with older versions.

>Not sure if by "automatic" recovery do you mean a standard recover standby
>database command or are you referring to a managed recovery.
>
>Anyway, depending on DB version you have a couple of options. One is to
>simply copy the accessible redo log files across and refer to them in your
>"standard" recovery command. Or if you have 9i , you can "register" the new
>log files via the alter database register logfile command.

OK I see. As long as I stick with 9i, is there any advantage or disadvantage between

alter database register logfile <...>

   and
recover logfile <....>

Thanks,
Carsten.

---
I want to die peacefully in sleep like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers!