Re: About LMT's -- nice article

From: Noons <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam>
Date: 19 Feb 2003 10:30:16 GMT

Following up on Pete Sharman, 19 Feb 2003:

> extra 5 months of testing to make sure it works properly". Will all the
> first release nasties go away? Probably not. Are we working on it? You
> bet. Is Oracle any different to any other software company in this
> respect? Probably not. But at least it's been recognized as something
> we can improve on.

Pete, I wish I had a dollar for the number of times I've heard that same story. From Ken Jacobs et all, no less...

No, Oracle is no different from anyone else in this particular respect. The *big* diff is that Oracle used to wait at least a coupla years before increasing the main release level. That gave everyone breathing space to come up with an upgrade plan.

It's not just the compatibility upgrade, it's also making sure that the hardware depreciation and ROI has been paid off (have you ever seen a new release of Oracle that did NOT require more h/w resources?).

They are now pulling major releases out of the hat every 18 months. I'm sure the marketing guys will have plenty of arguments to explain why it is so important.

Me, I've got one line that is shared by the ENTIRE Oracle user community: slow down or pay the price.
It's happened before, I'm sure *someone* at Oracle *must* still remember when and what the consequences were...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto