Re: About LMT's -- nice article

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2003 08:56:38 -0800

In article <Xns9326CF7041FC2Tokenthis_at_210.49.20.254>, Noons says...

snip

>> But, not sure I want to wait until next year to go to 9iR3?
>>

>I can't tell you what to do but my gut feel would be to go
>with it rather than 10i or 9ir1. No hard data to back this
>up, just past experience creeping in...
>

>> But, I would never install the first release, so I would have to wait until
>> 10iR2 and then I could rationalize waiting for 11i and then 11iR2 and so on
>> and so on :)
>>

>Hey! Ther's worse: your boss might ask you to become
>an OCP in all that jazz... :D
>
>--
>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam

Just a quick comment here. I'm totally cognizant of Oracle's history with first releases (7.0.13 and 8.0.3 were just SOOOO wonderful!), but let me chime in with this. At a recent meeting with Development, where they wanted to hear from us about how they could improve things, my number 1 priority message was "Make it work AND perform in the first release". One group went awy from that meeting and chewed over things, so when we came together again their response was "We're putting in an extra 5 months of testing to make sure it works properly". Will all the first release nasties go away? Probably not. Are we working on it? You bet. Is Oracle any different to any other software company in this respect? Probably not. But at least it's been recognized as something we can improve on.

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Tue Feb 18 2003 - 10:56:38 CST