Re: RAC High End Scalability?

From: Stephan Bressler <stephan.bressler_at_siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:31:15 +0100

Hi Michael,

setting up RAC successfully highly depends on whether or not the application can be partitioned into logical units (e.g. sales europe/asia/north america) or whether you run independent applications on the nodes (e.g. operational system and DWH).
If the nodes access (modify!) the same dataset frequently, RAC is not an option without an database/application redesign.

But if this is not possible, mssql isn't an option at all. This one literally relies on partitioning. The URL (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/features/distpart.asp) mentioned in the documents reads:

The Distributed Partitioned Views feature shares the database-processing load across a group of servers,
 !!!! by horizontally partitioning the SQL Server 2000 data !!!!

in the first sentence.

It may be true that oracle does not scale well in some (a lot?) of scenarios, but I believe mssql to perform even worse.

BTW: TPC-C is partitioned horizontally by design.

Stephan