Slow Database

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:57:08 -0000

Hi Dimce,

install statspack, and take a few snapshots while the performance is slow. Once you have done this, run off a report and check out what the top wait events are - then tune them out. Make sure you have TIMED_STATISTICS = true though, otherwise you won't see which of the wait events is hogging the most time.

Statspack has docs at $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spdoc.txt.

The top level creation script is $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spcreate.sql and the report is $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/spreport.sql

Once you get the hang of StatsPack, you'll just love it !

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator