Re: oracle mirroring or replication server

From: D.Y. <dyou98_at_aol.com>
Date: 17 Feb 2003 21:29:08 -0800

Comments embedded,

tpreto7_at_sapo.pt (Teresa) wrote in message news:<6dabc692.0302171342.4e35911a_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have the following questions in regards to oracle, here is my story:
> I have a production database server data warehouse, which has 2 schemas. We
> do a CTAS on a daily basis in order to keep data the same, we also have a in

Are you copying tables? Isn't it easier to reference tables in the other schema?

> house application which then connects to the database, that gets switch between
> schemas during jobs, etc. Now we are getting a new unix server which I will be
> installing oracle on it. So I will have 2 servers which with 1 schema ...
> 1.Can I do a CTAS between 2 servers?

Yes.

> 2.Also we are thinking in putting between the 2 servers a (like virtual) on a
> disk array (kind of flowting server?) is this possible?

I am afraid I am not understanding this question.

> 3.Is mirriring possible in this case?

Possible, but not trivial. I'd interested to hear other comments on this one.

> 4.should I use oracle distributed database?

If you are thinking home grown replication processes(e.g. trigger based), that's not a good idea.

> 5. what about replication server's ?

Replication is not designed to handle this kind of data volumn.

You should ask yourself if you have a compelling reason to move the two schemas to different databases. Is there prohibitive contention between processes? We are actually planning to do the opposite: consolidate smaller databases into a multi-terabyte data warehouse to eliminate some data replication and make our ETL process more efficient.

If you really need to have two databases, you may want to consider duplicating your load process. That should be faster than loading data into one database then replicating to another.