Re: About LMT's -- nice article

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:24:45 -0600

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E51A2E8.FEA76267_at_exesolutions.com...

> JustAnotherDBA wrote:
>
> > <snipped>
> >
> > Hmm... do you think LMTs are stable in 9iR2 ?
>
> Haven't had a single database since 8.1.7.0.0 that wasn't as close to 100%
LMT
> as Oracle would allow. And I've yet to see a problem.
>
> > <snipped>
> >
> > But, not sure I want to wait until next year to go to 9iR3?
> >

> You will wait a very long time as there will never be another 9i release.
Wake
> up and smell the otn.oracle.com. 10i is being released this year. Possibly
as
> early as this summer.
>
> > <snipped>
> >
> > Yep. Never ever install the first release of a major version :)
> >

> Couldn't disagree more. Always install the first release of a major
reversion
> ... in development. Moving it to production, on the other hand, takes
masochism.
> But first releases are the place to gain familiarity so that you are
prepared to
> go forward when the fully tested production release becomes available.

So, all that gained familiarity with 9iR1 and the DBMS way of doing a flashback is useful in 9iR2 where it completely changes?

I think I have my priorities straight. Working in development with my limited time on the release I plan on putting in production.

> > <snipped>
> >

> > But, I would never install the first release, so I would have to wait
until
> > 10iR2 and then I could rationalize waiting for 11i and then 11iR2 and so
on
> > and so on :)
> >
> > > QED.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Cheers
> > > Nuno Souto
> > > nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam
>
> So, I presume, you are still working with Oracle 6? ;-}

I was commenting on a question "Why not wait a few months more and go for 10i," ... that you snipped out :)

But, I agree with you... if I were the kind of person that would wait for 10i , then I might very well be on 6 today waiting for some next stable release .