Re: Determine number of blocks above HWM and below HWM

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 06:59:08 +1100

> I'm not interested in whether some tool written by some person is reporting
> some value next to some label. I am asking how can there be a block above the
> HWM? It goes against my entire understanding of the concept behind HWM.
>
> Howard, Tom, Jonathan, Richard ... any help here? Thanks.
>
> Daniel Morgan

Easy:

Create table blah (...)
storage (initial 1m next 1m);
insert into blah values (...);
commit;

So you have a 1M table, containing 1 row. So you have 1 block occupied (and that's where your HWM will be) and about 120 blocks never touched -which are nevertheless reserved for the use of BLAH, and thus are above the HWM.

Incidentally, that's not quite right: the HWM is incremented in 5-block steps, so a single insert means 5 blocks are below the HWM, and about 115 would be above it.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 13:59:08 CST