Re: Metalink for developers?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 07:24:14 +1100

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:30:02 +0000, Bill Lucas wrote:

> That is the same license agreement I went back and read just to make sure.
> The EULA can be found at
> http://otn.oracle.com/software/htdocs/devlic.html?/software/products/oracle8
> i/htdocs/winsoft.html DA Morgan's warning echoes one I received via private
> email. We are not trying to be software pirates here, and are perfectly
> willing to do what it takes to "remain legal". As I read the license
> agreement you posted it seemed to me that we did have the right to use it
> for development purposes. There seems to be some confusion on the issue,
> and I don't really want to cause any problems.

There shouldn't be any confusion. Daniel was exaggerating, and the license is clear: development work in the database is perfectly legit. Taking the fruits of your development and starting to use it in earnest against even your own, private and personal data is not. And making hard cash out of it is clearly a no-no. I'm not a lawyer, either, though, or I would have invoiced you for the 5 hours it took me to write those two sentences.

However, there's no support, which could make development tricky. And no Metalink (which makes it even more tricky).

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Feb 14 2003 - 14:24:14 CST