Re: Memory Question regarding 32-bit 8i

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:37:35 +0800

Rhugga wrote:

> We run 32-bit 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 8 64-bit. We currently have 4gb systems
> but want to upgrade to 8gb. Can the 32-bit version of 8.1.7.4 utilize
> more than 4gb?
>
> We plan to go to 9i but we have a score of 3rd party, crappily written,
> biotech applications that must be migrated, so this is a very long term
> project.
>
> If there is a 4gb limitation on the 32-bit version, is it a very
> difficult process migrating from 32-bit 8.1.7.4 to 64-bit?
>
> Thx,
> CC

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Changing is pretty simple...Simply open the database under the new software and there is a u?????.sql script to run...

Of course testing that doing this simple task doesn't make your system run worse/better/same/etc is not so simple :-)

fwiw - at a site we chopped and changed between 32 and 64 8i on hp with no observable differences

hth
connor Received on Wed Feb 12 2003 - 02:37:35 CST