Re: Oracle 9.2.0 Gentoo Linux - ORA 3113 on DB startup

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 9 Feb 2003 19:58:36 -0800

"anfo" <root_at_nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:<nwB1a.1404$9U3.631_at_twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
> Sybrand,
>
> Thank you for the reply, I will check this tomorrow. I know I never checked
> this in trying to resolve the problem After replying to Jaspers post my anal
> retentivness kicked in and I searched around again and came up with one
> other possibility from the otn forums:
>
> [QUOTE]
> The answer is trust SuSE, they support Oracle way, way better than Red Hat.
> On FTP.SUSE.COM under pub, then i386 then commerical I found a tiny RPM
> orarun9i.rpm. This RPM set your profile, startup (database), shutdown
> (database),
> ORACLE_HOME and recommended kernel parameters (SHMMAX)
>
> The 9.2.0 install flew on SuSE 8.0 personal without a hitch after running
> the
> RPM
>
> I found the orarun9i.rpm file at:
> /pub/suse/i386/supplementary/commercial/Oracle
>

> [/QUOTE]
>
> This was in regard to the 3113 error on db create as well and did resolve
> her problem, I notice that this rpm also sets the kernel parameters so I am
> guessing you hit this spot on.
>
> Thanks again & Best Regards,
> anfo

Last week I installed 9iR2 and created 3 instances (Dev, Prod and test) on RedHat 7.3 without any problems. The only problem I encountered was downloading and deflating the 3 .gz files from the OTN and that too was a Netscape issue. I was kinda impressed with RedHat 7.3 for not giving me any hiccups. I however, created the databases from scripts alone + I made sure to setup the kernel paramerets according to the Oracle docs and add for two extra instances.

As others have mentioned above, make sure to set all kernel parameters and not just shmmni and shmmax.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sun Feb 09 2003 - 21:58:36 CST