Two Issues

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 14:06:14 +1100

Sorry about this. Call me a moron if you must.

  1. In Linux, what's a 'segmentation fault'? I imagine it's what I used to call a crash, but what I want to know is: why do I get one (the story is I run emca, request to create a repository in an existing database (which does, and it's running), specify to log on as SYS, supply a service name, click <next>. Bang! I would like to know where to start diagnosing such a problem).
  2. When in desperation I run emca and tell it to create a new repository, typical (ie, create me a new database in which to create the repository) it immediately invokes the database configuration assistant, but without the chance to specify anything. Therefore, it must be using one of the supplied templates. Not a problem (except that all the supplied templates seem to think you're running on a Cray 2). At preciely 26% of the way through the creation process, I get this error message:

Invalid entry size (expected 143527936 but got 143527951 bytes)

I had this exact same error message on Mandrake 9.0, but this is Redhat 8.0. How come my byte knickers are in a twist?

Incidentally, I have to confess with some amazement that on my crappy laptop, Oracle on Linux is running appreciably faster than it was on Windows (same crappy laptop). I have the book 'Red Hat Linux 8 - The Complete Edition' (Richard L. Petersen) which is mostly complete bollocks
(ie, 58 chapters on how to make Gnome look nice and half a paragraph on
configuring SAMBA!), but contained the gem that since Oracle was written originally for Unix platforms, it runs inherently faster on Linux
(quasi-Unix) than on Windows (nowhere even close). All I can say is:
he might be on to something. It's certainly going like the clappers here.

Anyway: I've done the usual prerequisite trawls through Google, but haven't found any 'expected X got Y' assistance yet.

Calling all Linux gurus!!

Regards
HJR   Received on Sun Feb 09 2003 - 21:06:14 CST