Re: Totally Off-Topic (it's that Linux newbie again)

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet_at_hjp.at>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 23:23:46 +0100

On 2003-02-09 21:23, Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Blessed as I am with remarkably good taste in music (unlike a certain
> other poster on this group, mentioning no names Richard), I have music
> files named wonderous things such as 'Götterdämmerüng' or 'chanson de
> l'Étoile'. Stuff with 'foreign' characters in it, anyway.
>
> How do I type that sort of thing into file names [or anywhere else]
> in Linux?

Assuming you are using X11, you use the "Compose" key. Unfortunately the PC keyboard doesn't have any key actually labeled "compose", so which key that is is somewhat arbitrary. On my (German) keyboard both <Shift-AltGr> and <RightWindows> work as compose. The next two characters after compose will be combined, so to type "Götterdämmerung", wou would type:

    G <compose> " o t t e r d <compose> " a m m e r u n g

I am not aware of a complete list of valid combinations, though.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | To a database person,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | every nail looks like a thumb.