Totally Off-Topic (it's that Linux newbie again)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:23:14 +1100

Blessed as I am with remarkably good taste in music (unlike a certain other poster on this group, mentioning no names Richard), I have music files named wonderous things such as 'Götterdämmerüng' or 'chanson de l'Étoile'. Stuff with 'foreign' characters in it, anyway.

How do I type that sort of thing into file names [or anywhere else] in Linux? In Windows,you'd hold down the ALT key, and type the relevant ASCII code (ALT+0233,for example, would give you an e-acute). No apparent equivalent in good ol' Linux, though.

Yes, I can use the Character Map application to get the characters (which is what I used to put them in this post), but it's tediously slow, and I'm a fast typer, so I'd like to do it via the keyboard. Oh, and there doesn't seem to be a facility to actually paste something copied from Character Map into a file name, anyway.

I've already asked this in the Redhat newsgroup (having been bowled over by Redhat 8, which knocks Mandrake into a cocked hat), but there are Linux gurus here, and they tend not to bite (unlike some people on the Linux newsgroups). So I just thought I'd ask.

Ignore me if there's Oracle stuff to be getting on with!

Best Regards
HJR Received on Sun Feb 09 2003 - 15:23:14 CST