Re: Problem with granting object permissions to a role

From: JustAnotherDBA <jadba_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 13:22:38 -0600

"Pete Sharman" <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote in message news:b20odl02kke_at_drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <MPG.18ade3f73398b256989693_at_localhost>, Marc says...
> >
> >In article <1044627931.7561_at_news.thyssen.com>,
> >Guido.Konsolke_at_triaton.com says...
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >> Hi Marc,
> >>
> >> sys is not such a big boss that he can steal / destroy / manipulate
> >> your objects (at least, not directly). You must log on as the user
> >> that owns the objects. Only the owner can grant privileges to others
> >> (unless another user has been granted privs ...WITH GRANT OPTION).
> >
> >So if the schema is called ms2 I have to login as user ms2 and do this?
> >How do I know excatly how is the owner of the objects? If they are in
> >schema ertu is the user ertu the owner?
>
> I didn't see any version numbers in your posting, so there might be two
answers
> to this. Prior to 9.2 you needed to log on as the owner of the object or
> someone who had been granted access WITH GRANT OPTION (that last bit
allows them
> to pass it on). In 9.2, this is no longer the case (sounds of the
Hallelujah
> Chorus resound!). ANyone with DBA privileges can grant access in 9.2
(can't
> remember off the top of my head if this comes with the DBA role or
SYSDBA). Yeah you right! Hallelujah! Finally!

I don't know how many times I have been asked to grant someone permission on a table and I then have to ask so what is the password of that account so I can do the grant ?

Of course, these M$ developers I am thinking of should take an Oracle class or 2 or read a book on Oracle or SOME kind of education about Oracle!

Anyway, in the above case I know I could always alter a user password temporarily and then alter it back using the encryped value. But, that feature in 9.2 sure makes this easier!