Re: dropping a datafile

From: Jost Mueller <mueller.jost_at_t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 19:33:13 +0100

Vince Laurent wrote:

> On our SAP system, we have a few tablespaces that are made up of MANY
> datafiles. I have managed (via a 3rd party tool) to reorganize the
> largest tables into thier own tablespacs. Now the original tablespace
> is sitting very empty BUT the physical datafiles are still there. Is
> there a way to drop them?
>
> I found this for growing them but nothing for removing them. I would
> like to reclaim the space.
>
> Since I can apparently ADD space to a datafile as well as remove
> space, can I remove the datafile?

Why not using sapdba for moving the table into new tablespace? You got the feature to use CTAS (create table as select) where the table will be moved into the new tablespace with dropping the old one including the correspondig datafile. It's fast and secure (as the old table will be only removed it the "create table ....as select from ..." ended successfully). After this operation add an analyze table ...statement and everthings fine

Regards
J. Müller Received on Fri Feb 07 2003 - 12:33:13 CST