select * performance

From: Susan Lam <susana73_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2003 17:59:29 -0800

I have a small table with 10k record and 2M in size. The java application needs to pull out everything from this table and display it on the interface. This means, we are doing "select * from table" through jdbc. The application consistently takes 30 seconds to load.

If I do a "select * from table" in sqlplus it does take 30 seconds to retrive everything but since it's mostly waiting on the display this test is not accurate. A tkprof result of "select * from table" shows that cpu/elapse time takes only around 1 second (mostly on fetching part obviously). Is there any other overhead on the database side? Can I say the rest of 29 seconds are on the application side trying to retrieve and display the data? We are trying to resolve this performance issue and I just want to eliminate the possibility of any more delay(beside that 1 second) on the database side.

Thanks in advance,
Susan Received on Wed Feb 05 2003 - 19:59:29 CST