Oracle archive logging over a Windows NT share - does it work?

From: Konstantin Kudin <konstantin_kudin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 3 Feb 2003 14:10:16 -0800

Hi

I am having an issue here which was described in this NG before and several people asked this question by I could NOT locate a single definite answer.
Some people replied along the lines "do not do it", but none of them actually described *HOW* to do it even if one should not do it in the first place.

 Below one of such posts.

 In my system (Oracle 8.1.7 with NT4 sp6a) even if I map a drive on the desktop, then do Services/Oracle stop/start thing, it still complains about
not being able to access a network share. So somehow Oracle does not see a share that has been made through the desktop even if the Oracle is fully restarted.

 Is there anybody out there who actually managed to do this?

 Thanks in advance!

 Regards,
 Konstantin Kudin

Here is one of the old posts:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=qg%25Q3.305%24VL5.3021041711%40news.euroconnect.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Doracle%2Barchive%2Blog%2Bdestination%2Bwindows%2Bnt%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Dqg%2525Q3.305%2524VL5.3021041711%2540news.euroconnect.net%26rnum%3D1

Quote:

"

We have a customer who wishes to duplex his archive log files over a network
connection. However, when we try to start the Oracle service with the following parameters in init.ora:

    log_archive_duplex_dest = j:\ora8serv_backup\archive     log_archive_min_succeed_dest = 1

where the j: drive points to another server, the following error emerges:

SVRMGR> startup
ORA-00256: error occurred in translating archive text string 'j:\ora8serv_backup
\archive'

ORA-09291: sksachk: invalid device specified for archive destination
OSD-04018: Unable to access the specified directory or device.
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

I guess the problem is that the Oracle services are started as the local
system account and that it therefor doesn't have access rights to the network destination. I tried letting the Oracle services log in as another
user with administrative rights (also administrator) - but then the services
refused to start.

How do I solve this problem in order to duplex the archive log files?
"